I have been self employed all my working life. I sat my final exam, left college and started up my first business in less than 24 hours! From being a shepherdess to running an award winning Bed & Breakfast business, I just love to solve business problems and generate new ideas.
My paternal grandmother was a great inspiration and role model for me. When the Estate had the yearly tenant farmers dinner, May Lupton – who always had to be placed next to the guest visitor as she never was short of words– treated everyone as if she had known them for years. As down to earth a person as you will find, she was honest and simply loved to work, thinking nothing of putting in 15 hours a day.
Thinking outside the box
We live in a constantly changing business world. Old ways of marketing a business are quickly becoming obsolete. It is more important than ever to think outside of the box in promoting products or services. I pride myself on coming up with unique, sometimes “crazy” ideas that will make you stand out from the crowd.
Communication & connections
I take a genuine interest in how businesses can communicate. I understand who important it is to connect with customers in the most effective way. I also have a wealth of experience building connections and working with other local businesses in ways that benefit everyone involved.
Experience at board level
- Board member for Welcome to Yorkshire
- Board member for Ryedale District Accommodation Group
- Elected member of the new North York Moors National Park ‘Leader Board Project’, responsible for the spending of £2.3m grant funding for businesses within the Park over the next 6 years.
- Accommodation Board member for VisitYork
- Past director of Deliciously Yorkshire